26 January 2015

Army Town - עיירת צבא

( עברית בהמשך)

"From a mountain as high as this one, I shall be able to see the whole planet at one glance, and all the people."

Warm and humid with tropical rains, heaps of mossies, flies and marine stingers, yet still completely relaxed. That is Townsville.

I arrived in Townsville on Friday afternoon 2 hours later than scheduled after the bus was delayed by flooding. The rush of checking-in to the hostel, shopping for shabbat meals, and speaking with home had me bring in shabbat with my tongue hanging out. I then made up for it by sleeping most of shabbat, while the rest I ate, prayed and chatted with other travellers in the hostel.

After the overdose of sleep, I had the energy to wake up early on Sunday morning and hike up Castle Hill in time for the sunrise. I got to the peak drenched in my sweat and covered in mossies and their bites, but the sunrise I saw over Magnetic Island was definitely worth it. On the way down I also saw many locals doing their daily exercise up and down the hill, and many of them also with their dogs to my delight.

After dropping by the hostel for a cooling shower and some air-con chill time, I went off to explore Cotters Market. Well, it's completely different from my local Machane Yehuda market. Less stalls, less shouting and less intense. It was a very quiet market with every purchase I made accompanied with a nice chat with the salesperson. The bloke I bought mangoes from even added a couple extra after I had already paid him.

The next day was Australia Day, so decked in my green and gold and with my Aussie flag bandana on my wrist, I strolled along the Strand towards Jezzine Barracks. Along the whole way there were amazing views of Magnetic Island and many people, including those participating in the annual Fun Run and the Australian coloured families getting ready for their barbecues. At the Barracks I wandered through the car display (of course taking a photo to show dad) and then went to the flag raising ceremony. This year was the first time the official ceremony of Queensland was held out of Brisbane, so I was part of history. The ceremony was a lot of speeches peppered by salutes from the Royal Guard (whose drill sergeant would not have gotten far in the IDF). As the flags were raised (Australia, Queensland, Townsville, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders) I proudly sang the national anthem together with the rest of the crowd. The ceremony ended with a 21-gun salute and a short but impressive flyover.

Today I'm heading across on the ferry to Magnetic Island, where I will hopefully have good hiking and encounter wildlife (not just the insect variety).



"מפיסגת הר גבוה כזה, אוכל במבט אחד לראות את כל הפלנטה, וכל האנשים אשר בה."

חם ולח עם גשמים טרופיים, הרבה יתושים, זבובים ומדוזות, ולמרות כל זה אווירה מאוד רגועה. זוהי טאוונסביל.

הגעתי לטאוונסביל בשישי בצהריים שעתיים מאוחר מהמתוכנן אחרי שהאוטובוס התעכב עקב שיטפונות. הבהלה להירשם לאכסניה, לקנות אוכל לארוחות שבת ולדבר עם המשפחה גרמה לי להכניס את השבת עם בלשון בחוץ. אבל אז כיפרתי על העניין בכך שישנתי רוב השבת, ובשאר הזמן אכלתי, התפללתי ודיברתי עפ מטיילים אחרים באכסניה.

אחרי עודף השינה, היו לי את הכוחות להתעורר מוקדם בראשון בבוקר ולעלות את "קסטל היל" בזמן לזריחה. הגעתי לפיסגה ספוג בזיעה ומכוסה ביתושים ובעקיצותיהן, אבל הזריחה שראית מעל האי המגנטי היה בהחלט שווה את זה. בדרך למטה ראיתי גם מקומיים רבים עושים את ההתעמלות היומית שלהם, ולשמחתי הרבה מהם יצאו גם עם כלביהם.

אחרי שעצרתי באכסניה למקלחת וזמן הרגעה במזגן, הלכתי לחקור את מחנה קוטרס. טוב, מחנה בן יהודה זה לא. פחות דוכנים, פחות צעקות ופחות אינטנסיבי. זה היה שוק מאוד שקט ועל קנייה שלי הייתה בליווי שיחה נחמדה עם המוכר/ת. הבחור שקניתי ממנו מנגו אפילו הוסיף כמה אחרי שכבר שילמתי לו.

היום שאחרי היה יום אוסטרליה, אז לבוש בירוק וזהב ועם בנדנת דגל אוסטרליה על היד, יצאתי לטייל לאורך החוף למחנה ג'זין. לאורך כל הדרך היה נוף מדהים של האי המגנטי והרבה אנשים, כולל אלו המשתתפים בריצה השנתית ומשפחות צבועות בצבעי אוסטרליה מתכוננים למנגל. במחנה עברתי בתצוגת המכוניות (וכמובן לקחתי תמונה להראות לאבא) ואז הלכתי אל טקס הרמת הדגל. השנה הייתה הפעם הראשונה שהטקס הרשמי של קווינסלנד נערך מחוץ לבריסבן, אז אני חלק מההיסטוריה. הטקס היה נאומים רבים עם הצדעות של המשמר המלכותי (שהרס"ר שלהם לא היה מגיע רחוק בצה"ל). בזמן שהדגלים הורמו (אוסטרליה, קווינסלנד, טאוונסביל, אבוריג'ני, וטורס סטרייט) שרתי בגאווה את ההמנון הלאומי יחד עם שאר הקהל. הטקס הסתיים עם מטח 21 יריות ומעוף מטוס קצר אך מרשים.

היום אני עובר במעבורת אל האי המגנטי, איפה שאני מקווה למצוא טרקים טובים ולפגוש טבע (ולא רק הסוג המעופף והעוקץ).

No comments:

Post a Comment