14 January 2015

River City - עיר נהר

(עברית בהמשך)

"These days as we travel along it, or play on or beside it the river shapes our views of Brisbane as a River City."

Humid and rainy... seems I'm getting into the tropical area.

I arrived in Brisbane at around 11 in the morning and my room at the hostel wasn't ready yet, but they offered me a luggage storage which I took advantage of and went to explore the city based on a river. Walking through most of the city centre, it was good for a backpacker as myself to find free wi-fi hotspots every few metres, especially as my hostel wanted to charge for it. I visited the beautiful Botanical Gardens, placed in the bend of the river.

When I checked in I understood the difference between Brisbane in comparison to the little places I've stayed at until now. My roomates were mostly Germans looking for work in Australia. It could just be the vibe of this specific hostel, but I think a city attracts more tourists looking for work. Since in the major cities up until now I was hosted by family and friends, this is the first time I felt this.

At night I got on the CityHopper, a free service ferry, which runs along the river. The view of Brisbane at night, with the skyscrapers and Brisbane Wheel lit up, was astounding.

The next day I headed out to Mount Coot-tha, a half-hour expensive bus ride away. From the summit there is a view of all of Brisbane, but unfortunately the visibility wasn't at its best. After enjoying the lookout, I decided I would walk the 7 kilometres back to the city centre, starting with a bushwalk down the mountain. As I was starting the walk, a light rain started as well, but that did not deter me. It was even refreshing! From the main track I took a 1500 metre detour through the Aboriginal Art trail, and when I had descended from the mountain I walked along the river till the city.

In the evening I headed to the Riverside Pig 'n' Whistle pub to watch the Socceroos match against Oman in the Asian Cup. At the pub I saw a bloke about my age wearing the right jersey, and so I met Anthony and his mates. Amongst beer and mateship we had a great time cheering 4 beautiful goals in a game which has us top the group and qualify for the quarter-finals with a game in hand.

Onwards and Northwards! Next stop: Rainbow Beach.



"בימים אלו כשאנחנו מטיילים לאורכה או משחקים לצידה, הנהר מעצב את השקפתנו על בריסבן כעיר נהר."

לח וגשום... נראה שהגעתי לאיזור הטרופי.

הגעתי לבריסבן בסביבות 11 בבוקר והחדר שלי באכסניה עוד לא היה מוכן, אבל הציעו לי מקום להשאיר את התיק שניצלתי והלכתי להסתובב בעיר המוקמת על נהר. בהליכתי ברוב מרכז העיר, היה טוב למטייל שכמוני לראות נקודות ווי-פיי בחינם כל כמה מטרים, במיוחד כפי שבאכסניה שלי רצו תשלום על זה. ביקרתי בגנים הבוטאניים היפים, ממוקמים בסיבוב הנהר.

כשנכנסתי לחדר הבנתי את ההבדל בין בריסבן בהשוואה למקומות הקטנים שהייתי בהם עד עכשיו. חבריי לחדר היו ברובם גרמנים המחפשים עבודה באוסטרליה. יכול להיוצ שזו רק האווירה של האכסניה הספציפית הזאת, אבל אני מניח שעיר מושכת יותר תיירים המחפשים עבודה. כפי שבערים המרכזיות עד עכשיו התארחתי אצל משפחה וחברים, זאת הייתה הפעם הראשונה שהרגשתי את זה.

בלילה עליתי על ה"סיטי הופר", שירות מעבורות חינם שנוסע לאורך הנהר. המחזה של בריסבן בלילה, עם גורדי השחקים וגלגל בריסבן מוארים, היה מדהים.

ביום שאחרי יצאתי אל הר קו-טה, חצי שעה יקרה באוטובוס ממרכז העיר. מהפסגה יש תצפית על כל בריסבן, אבל לצערי הראות לא הייתה במיטבה. אחרי התצפית החלטתי ללכת את ה-7 קילומטרים חזרה למרכז העיר, והתחלתי בטרק במורד ההר. כשהתחלתי את ההליכה, התחיל גם גשם קליל, אבל זה לא עצר אותי. להפך, זה אפילו היה מרענן! מהשביל הראשי לקחתי מעקף של 1500 מטרים בשביל האומנות האבוריג'ני, וכשירדתי מההר הלכתי ליד הנהר עד העיר.

בערב הלכתי לפאב "פיג אן וויסל" (חזיר ושריקה) לראות את משחקה של נבחרת אוסטרליה בכדורגל מול אומאן בגביע אסיה. בפאב ראיתי בחור בסביבות גילי לבוש בצבעים הנכונים, וכך פגשתי את אנתוני וחבריו. בין בירה וחברים נהנו מאוד ועודדנו 4 שערים יפים במשחק שהביא אותנו לראש הבית והעפלנו לרבע גמר עם משחק ביד.

קדימה וצפונה! תחנה הבאה: ריינבו ביץ' (חוף הקשת).

No comments:

Post a Comment