23 January 2015

Three, Two, Dive! - צוללים קדימה!

( עברית בהמשך )

"We got no troubles,
Life is the bubbles,
Under the sea!"

The Great Barrier Reef! Wow! So many colours and animals!

I arrived at Airlie Beach after a half decent sleep on the night bus from Agnes Water, and headed straight for the docks. After waiting for a bit and praying the weather will clear up, the ship departed toward Hamilton Island. On the ship I met and spoke with most of the crew, including Georgie, Rita, Danielle, Kiki, Taylor, Lauern and Glen (well he's not really a crew member, but as the helicopter rep he's cool enough to get a mention). From Hamilton Island we continued to Reefworld, located above Hardy Reef.

At Reefworld there was a variety of options to view the reef, with the highlight being a scuba dive (possible even without previous experience). My dive was scheduled an hour-and-a-half after we arrived, so I decided to start with the dry options. The first thing I did was take a 15 minute semi-submersible tour. I was a bit disappointed as it didn't actually submerge, but I got my first sightings of the Great Barrier Reef and its amazing marine life. After that I walked down to the viewing deck and watched many fish and a turtle swim around.

Then it was time for the dive! Nervous. Excited. Two seemingly opposite feelings which mostly come together. I wetsuited up and the crew hooked me up with the diving equipment, including weights belt and air cannister. After being fully accessorised, I went down to the training pool before the dive to get used to the breathing. It took me quite a bit of time, and I kept on focusing on the breathing, despite the crew saying it would start to come naturally. My personal theory is that I've spent a big portion of my life lately having to control my breathing during activities, mostly running and shooting, that I probably give it more thought than the average person. Once I was comfortable enough with the breathing, I started descending with Danielle as my dive instructor. Since I had got to know her, speaking with her on the way over, I was glad she was my instructor and trusted her. After a few minutes underwater I started developing a sharp pain in my right temple and since I didn't know what it was I signalled that something was wrong and we surfaced. After getting information that pain in the temple is not a usual problem from diving and the pain subsiding after I had removed the gear, I decided to try again because who knows when an opportunity like this would come about next? In the second dive, again with Danielle, the pain returned slightly, but not as sharply, and I completed the whole dive. Underwater the world was breathtaking! Swimming weightlessly by the multi-coloured coral, surrounded by heaps of fish of all shapes and colours, I wasn't sure I was still on planet Earth. My favourite sighting of fish today was when we saw a bluestreak cleaner wrasse working on a brightly coloured parrot fish. And at the end of the dive Danielle gave me a "mazel tov" for finishing.

My feelings at the end of the dive were still mixed. On one hand it was an eye opening, amazing and exhilarating experience, while on the other hand most of the dive I also had in mind my friend Niot, who passed away as a result of a diving accident. However, at the end of the day, I am glad that I took this rare opportunity to see the Great Barrier Reef close and personal and also that I didn't give in because of a few personal difficulties. I think that the me before the army would have probably given up at the first sign of difficulty, so it was a good opportunity also to appreciate my own growth as a person.

Now I continue onwards and northwards to my most northern point on the east coast: Townsville.



"אך במצולות יש רק מעלות כאן,
בתוך הים!"

שונית המחסום הגדולה! וואוו! כל כך הרבה צבעים ובעלי חיים!

הגעתי לאיירלי ביץ' אחרי לילה של חצי שינה באוטובוס מאגנס ווטר, והלכתי ישר למרינה. אחרי שחיכיתי קצת והתפללתי שהגשם יפסיק, הספינה יצאה אל האי המילטון. בספינה פגשתי ודיברתי עם רוב הצוות, כולל ג'ורג'י, ריטה, דניאל, קיקי, טיילור, לורו וגלן (טוב הוא לא באמת צוות, אבל כנציג המסוקים הוא מגניב מספיק). מהאי המילטון המשכנו ל"עולם השונית", מעל שונית הארדי.

ב"עולם השונית" היה מגוון אפשרויות לראות את השונית, כשהשיא היה צלילה (אפשרי אפילו בלי ניסיון קודם). הצלילה שלי תוזמנה לשעה וחצי אחרי שהגענו, אז הדבר הראשון שהחלטתי לנסות זה האפשרויות היבשים. הדבר הראשון שעשיתי היה לקחת סיור של רבע שעה בצוללת למחצה (אני לא סגור על השם בעברית.. זה בין צוללת לסירה קטנה). קצת התאכזבתי כי הוא לא באמת צלל, אבל ראיתי בפעם הראשונה את שונית המחסום הגדולה ואת החיים הימיים המדהימים בה. אחרי זה הלכתי אל עמדת התצפית וצפיתי בדגים וצב שוחים.

ואז הגיע הזמן לצלילה! קצת חושש. קצת מרגש. שני רגשות שכביכול הפכים ובאים הרבה פעמים ביחד. לבשתי חליפת צלילה והצוות שם עליי את ציוד הצלילה, כולל משקלים ומיכל אוויר. אחרי שאובזרתי לגמרי, ירדתי לבריכה לפני הצלילה כדי להתרגל לנשימה. לקח לי די הרבה זמן, והמשכתי להתמקד בנשימה, למרות שהצוות אמר שאחרי קצת זמן זה יבוא בטבעיות. דעתי האישית היא שבגלל שבזמן האחרון בחיים שלי בהרבה מהפעולות שלי הייתי צריך לשלוט בנשימה שלי, בעיקר ריצה וירי, ולכן אני כנראה מתרכז בזה יותר מהאדם הממוצע. כשהייתי בנח עם הנשימה, התחלתי לצלול עם דניאל כמדריכה שלי. כפי שיצא לי להכיר אותה בדרך כשדיברנו קצת בהלוך, שמחתי שהיא הייתה המדריכה שלי ובטחתי בה. אחרי כמה דקות מתחת למים התחלתי לפתח כאב חד ברקה הימנית וכפי שלא ידעתי מה זה סימנתי שמשהו לא כשורה ועלינו למעלה. אחרי שאמרו לי שכאב ברקה זה לא בעיה שמתפתחת מצלילה והכאב שכך ואחרי שהורידו ממני את הציוד, החלטתי לנסות שוב כי מי יודע מתי הזדמנות כזאת תגיע שוב? בצלילה השנייה, שוב עם דניאל, הכאב חזר קצת אבל לא באותה חדות, והשלמתי את הצלילה. מתחת למים העולם עוצר נשימה! כשאתה שוחה חסר משקל ליד האלמוגים הצבעוניים ודגים בכל מיני צורות וצבעים, אתה לא בטוח שאתה עדיין בכדור הארץ. התצפית האהובה עליי היום הייתה כשראינו נקאי מפוספס מנקה תוכינון צבעוני. ובסוף של הצלילה דניאל בירכה אותי ב"מזל טוב" על הסיום.

הרגשות שלי בסוף הצלילה היו עדיין מעורבים. מצד אחד זאת הייתה חוויה נפלאה ומדהימה, ומצד שני הרבה מהצלילה חשבתי גם על חברי נאות, שנפטר מתאונת צלילה. למרות הכל, בסופו של יום, אני שמח שניצלתי את ההזדמנות הנדירה הזאת לראות את שונית המחסום הגדולה מקרוב באופן אישי וגם שלא נכנעתי בגלל קצת קשיים. אני חושב שהאני לפני הצבא היה כנראה נכנע בקושי הראשון, אז זאת הייתה הזדמנות טובה גם להעריך את הצמיחה האישית שלי כאדם.

עכשיו אני ממשיך קדימה וצפונה אל הנקודה הכי צפונית שלי בחוף המזרחי: טאוונסויל.

No comments:

Post a Comment