29 January 2015

Ups and Downs - עליות וירידות

( עברית בהמשך )

"As for me, if I had fifty-three minutes to spend as I liked, I should walk at my leisure toward a spring of fresh water."

Magnetic Island, or Maggie as it is lovingly named by the locals, is a beautiful mountainous island full of relaxing bays, gorgeous walking tracks and amazing wildlife.

I arrived at Maggie via ferry on Tuesday morning and decided that instead of taking the bus around, like everyone else, I would walk anywhere I need on the island. All together those two days (especially the second day) were the most intense hikes I've done in Australia so far, walking around 25 kilometres over the course of both days.

The first place I walked to, on the advice of Henrik and Lukas, my German friends from the hostel in Townsville, was a little pathway next to Arcadia, where you can see heaps of rock wallabies and feed them with carrots lying on the ground. I stayed there, happily feeding them and chatting with them for at least half-an-hour, before regretfully moving on. From Arcadia I walked northwards along the road until the junction of Horseshoe Bay Road and Radical Bay Road, where the Forts Walk begins. After debating if to do the walk then, in the midst of the afternoon, I decided not to, thinking my best chance to see the koalas would be at dusk or dawn, and headed to the hostel.

Arriving at my YHA hostel in Bungalow Bay Koala Village, I was once again disappointed by the standard of YHA's in Australia. With over 30 humid degrees outside, the 8-bed dorm only had one aging ceiling fan and there were only two electric sockets for the whole room (which reception told me is twice as much as usual). So the best solution to cool off was to jump into the pool. There I met two lovely and friendly Aussie gals, Shona and Steph, and later on we went to dinner at the local sports bar and watched there the tennis (Kyrgios lost to Murray in the Australia Open quarter-final) and the soccer (the Socceroos beat UAE in the Asian Cup semi-final).

The next morning I woke up before the sun and walked the Forts Walk which is said to be the place with the highest chance of seeing members of Maggie's wild koala population. Despite boosting my chances more by hiking at dawn, as the koalas are nocturnal and are active mostly between dusk and dawn, I disappointingly did not see a single koala hair, though the fort structures were quite interesting. After returning to the YHA and checking-out I hiked a roundabout walking track named the Four Bays Walk which ends at the Forts Walk intersection, taking breaks along the way at some of those calm and relaxing bays. After refilling my water I hiked a beautiful track, full of ups and downs, back to Nelly Bay, getting there an hour ahead of my ferry back to Townsville.

This Greyhound bus, which is a bit older than the east coast ones I have taken until now and doesn't have wifi or charging points but does have the ever important air-con, is taking me to Mount Isa in the outback, where I will spend a few days, including shabbat, before continuing my travels.



"אני, אם היו לי חמישים ושלוש דקות פנויות כאלה, הייתי הולך בשלווה אל מעין של מים זכים."

האי המגנטי, או מגי כפי שהוא נקרא באהבה ע"י המקומיים, הוא אי הררי ויפה, מלא במפרצים רגועים, מסלולי הליכה יפהפיים וטבע מדהים.

הגעתי למגי במעבורת בשלישי בבוקר והחלטתי שבמקום להסתובב באוטובוס כמו כולם, אני יכול ללכת לכל מקום שאני צריך באי. שני הימים באי (במיוחד השני) היו ההליכות הכי רציניות שלי באוסטרליה עד היום, שבמהלכם הלכתי סביבות 25 קילומטר.

המקום הראשון שהלכתי אליו, בעצתם של הנריק ולוקאס, חבריי הגרמנים מהאכסניה בטאוונסביל, היה שביל קטן ליד ארקדיה, איפה שאפשר לראות הרבה וולאבי סלע ולהאכיל אותם בגזרים השרועים על הרצפה. נשארתי שם והאכלתי אותם ודיברתי איתם לפחות חצי שעה, לפני שבצער המשכתי הלאה. מארקדיה הלכתי צפונה בכביש עד הצומת של רחוב הורסשו ורדיקל ביי, שם מתחיל שביל המבצרים. אחרי התלבטות אם לעשות את השביל אז בשיא הצהריים, החלטתי שלא תוך מחשבה שהזמן עם הסיכוי הכי טוב לראות את הקואלות יהיה בשקיעה או בזריחה, והמשכתי אל האכסניה.

בהגעתי אל אכסניית האנ"א בבנגלו ביי, אני שוב התאכזבתי מרמת רשת אנ"א באוסטרליה. כאשר בחוץ מעל 30 מעלות ולחות גבוהה, חדר 8 המיטות היה מצויד רק במאוורר תקרה ישן והיו רק שתי נקודות חשמל לכל החדר (ובקבלה נאמר לי שזה פי שניים מהרגיל). אז הפתרון הטוב ביותר להתקרר היה לקפוץ לבריכה. שם פגשתי שתי בחורות אוסטרליות נחמדות וידידותיות, שונה וסטף, ומאוחר יותר הלכנו לארוחת ערב בבר המקומי וצפינו בטניס (קירגיוס הפסיד למארי ברבע גמר של אליפות אוסטרליה הפתוחה) ובכדורגל (נבחרת אוסטרליה ניצחה את האמירויות המאוחדות בחצי הגמר של גביע אסיה).

בבוקר שלמחרת התעוררתי לפני השמש והלכתי את שביל המבצרים, שאמור להיות המקום עם הסיכוי הגבוה ביותר לראות קואלות מהאוכלוסייה הטבעית של מגי. למרות שהגברתי את הסיכויים שלי בכך שהלכתי עם שחר, כפי שהקואלה היא חיה לילית הפעילה בעיקר בין שקיעה לזריחה, לצערי לא ראיתי ולו שערה של קואלה, למרות שמבני המבצרים היו מעניינים. אחרי שחזרתי לאכסנייה ולקחתי את חפציי הלכתי בדרך עקיפה בשם שביל ארבעת המפרצים שנגמר בצומת של שביל המבצרים, ובדרך לקחתי הפסקות בחלק מהמפרצים השקטים והרגועים של האי. אחרי שמילאתי מים הלכתי בשביל יפה, מלא עליות וירידות, חזרה אל מפרץ נלי, לשם הגעתי שעה לפני המעבורת שלי חזרה אל טאוונסביל.

אוטובוס הגרייהאונד הזה, שקצת מיושן יותר מאלה בחוף המזרחי ואין בו ווי-פיי או נקודות הטענה אבל כן יש בו את המזגן הכה חשוב, לוקח אותי אל מאונט אייזה ב"אווטבאק" (שדומה לערבה וכך גם גוגל תירגם את זה), איפה שאני אשאר כמה ימים, כולל שבת, לפני המשך מסעי.

No comments:

Post a Comment