11 February 2015

A City Proud of Itself - עיר שגאה בעצמה

( עברית בהמשך )

"I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. 
It's got a basket, a bell that rings and things that make it look good. 
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it."

The first thing which hit me when walking around Adelaide (other than the cooler weather) was that everything is advertised as "Proudly South Australian (SA)". While other places I have travelled in Australia are usually "Proudly Aussie" or support their local area, this is the first place I've been which takes the whole state upon themselves. The police are committed to keeping SA safe while the firemen are celebrating 150 years of fighting fire in SA.

The day I arrived in Adelaide at 7am after another night bus I recorded my earliest check-in to a hostel. After a pancake breakfast provided by the lovely staff, I went to wander around, passing by Town Hall, heaps of churches and finding myself at Central Market. While this was busier than the Townsville market I visited, I still found myself missing the familiar calls by vendors to buy their wares that defines Machane Yehuda market.

Grocery shopping and a nap later I set off on a walk to Himeji Garden on the south side of the city centre. The garden is a lovely and quaint Japanese garden dedicated to Adelaide's sister city Himeji (650 km west of Tokyo). Despite its small size it is filled with interest points ranging from milestones to Buddhist tributes. I also had a bonus with a local walking her adorable 4-year old dog in the garden.

The next day I met up with Jane, with whom I had travelled with down from Alice Springs through Coober Pedy, and we hired a free bike and set out for a ride. Our first stop was at the Botanic Gardens. The plants are very varied from all over the world, even including white wormwood which is used by Bedouins in the Negev as a medicine. We then went northwards and rode along the Torrens River, which reminded me very much of the Yarra, but with less people around and on it. From the river we circled North Adelaide and sat for a Japanese lunch of noodles in miso soup and a desert of fried ice cream. Coming back to the bike centre we had a great advantage getting through the traffic thanks to the slimness of bikes.

Now I am getting on yet another night bus back to Melbourne where my mother arrives tomorrow morning. I'm quite excited for her arrival. I will stay in Melbourne for a couple of weeks until the consecration (stone setting for you pommies; unveiling for the yanks) for my grandmother (in which time the frequency of posts will probably decrease) and then I will head to Tasmania.



"יש לי אופניים, את יכולה לרכב עליהם אם את רוצה. 
יש להם סל, פעמון מצלצל ודברים יפים.
הייתי נותן לך אותם אם הייתי יכול אבל לוויתי אותם."

הדבר הראשון ששמתי לב אליו כשהסתובבתי באדלייד (חוץ ממזג האוויר הקריר יותר) היה שהכל פורסם כ"דרום אוסטרלי גאה". בזמן שמקומות אחרים באוסטרליה פירסמו דברים בעיקר כ"אוסטרלי גאה" או תמכו בייצור המקומי, זה המקום הראשון שלקח את כל המדינה על עצמו. המשטרה מחויבת לשמור על ביטחונה של דרום אוסטרליה ומכבי האש חוגגים 150 שנה של לחימה באש בדרום אוסטרליה.

ביום שהגעתי לאדלייד ב-7 בבוקר אחרי עןד אוטובוס לילה ביצעתי את הצ'ק-אין הכי מוקדם שלי לאכסניה עד היום. אחרי ארוחת פנקייקים באדיבות הצוות הנפלא, הלכתי להסתובב ועברתי את בניין העירייה, הרבה כנסיות ומצאתי את עצמי בשוק המרכזי. בזמן שהשוק הזה היה יותר הומה מהשוק בטאוונסביל, עדיין מצאתי את עצמי מתגעגע לקריאות הרמות של המוכרים שכל כך מייצג את שוק מחנה יהודה.

אחרי קניות ותנומה הלכתי אל גן הימג'י בצד הדרומי של מרכז העיר. זהו גן מקסים ויפה בסגנון יפני המוקדש לעיר האחות של אדלייד, הימג'י (650 ק"מ מערבית לטוקיו). למרות גודלו הקטן, הגן מלא בנקודות עניין מנקודות מרחק עד מחוות לבודהיזם. גם היה לי בונוס לפגוש כלבה מתוקה בת 4 שהלכה לטיול עם בעליה המקומיים.

למחרת נפגשתי עם ג'יין, שנסעתי איתה מאליס ספרינגס דרך קובר פידי, ולווינו אופניים בחינם ויצאנו לסיבוב. העצירה הראשונה שלנו הייתה בגנים הבוטאניים. הם היו מאוד מגוונים עפ צמחים מכל העולם, כולל את לענת המדבר שהבדואים בנגב משתמשים בה כתרופה. אחרי זה התקדמנו צפונה ורכבנו לאורך נהר הטורנס, שהזכיר לי את היארה, אבל עם פחות אנשים עליה ובסביבתה. מהנהר סובבנו את צפון אדלייד וישבנו לארוחת צהריים יפנית של אטריות במרק מיסו וקינחנו בגלידה מטוגנת. בדרך חזרה אל מרכז האופניים היה לנו יתרון בפקקים כשהאופניים הדקים עזרו לנו לעבור.

עכשיו אני עולה על עוד אוטובוס לילה אל מלבורן איפה שאמא שלי נוחתת מחר בבוקר. אני די מתרגש לקראת בואה. אני אשאר במלבורן כשבועיים עד גילוי המצבה של סבתי (ובזמן זה תדירות הפוסטים כנראה יפחת) ואז אסע אל טסמניה.

No comments:

Post a Comment