10 June 2015

Home of an Anthem - בית ההמנון

( עברית בהמשך )
"O, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?"

After a lovely shabbat with my cousins in Pikesville I've been spending the last few days exploring Baltimore.

I started off walking around the Inner Harbour and Federal Hill Park. There I had a good view of the city skyline and the area. The park was also interesting because it has an old American flag flying over it, with 15 stars and stripes. After the walking around a bit, I hopped onto the free circulator bus, to see the Washington Monument (yes, there's one in DC and one in Baltimore). Near the monument there is also a nice park which had a statue of George Peabody, which reminded me of the book "Knight's Castle", which is set in Baltimore. From there I went to meet my cousin Brina and her mum Robbie for lunch (def the highlight of the day). After lunch I took the bus again, this time to Fort McHenry, where the lyrics of the Star Spangled Banner were written. As it cost $7 to enter the fort itself I only walked around the outer grounds, but that felt enough for me.

The following day I went to the Sports Legends Museum in the morning. I was expecting it to feature national legends, such as Michael Jordan, but it was much more local, with the most well known person being Babe Ruth, who was from Baltimore originally. Afterwards I went to the Baltimore Tattoo Museum, which was small, but had interesting and humourous stories about the history of tats and tat artists. I then spent the rest of the arvo walking around Fell's Point and by the water.

I am now once more picking up my belongings and travelling, this time to Denver. It is getting harder to leave every time. I keep on wishing I had more time in every place, but unfortunately my time on this trip is tight. At least once I get to camp, I will be in the same place for two months.
Alright, onwards to beautiful (so I've been told multiple times) Colorado!



"הו, אמור, האם אותו הנס זרוע הכוכבים עודנו מתנוסס,
מעל ארצם של בני החורין ומולדתם של האמיצים?"

אחרי שבת מקסימה עם בני דודים שלי בפייקסביל ביליתי את הימים האחרונים בלתייר בבולטימור.

בהתחלה הסתובב באזור הנמל הפנימי ופארק פדרל היל. הייתה שם תצפית יפה על העיר והאזור. הפארק היה מעניין כי מעליו התנוסס דגל אמריקאי ישן עם 15 פסים וכוכבים. אחרי שהסתובבתי מספיק עליתי על האוטובוס החינמי של העיר ליסוע לאנדרטת וושינגטון (כן, יש אחת בוושינגטון וגם אחת בבולטימור). משם הלכתי לפגוש את הבת דודה שלי ברינה ואמה רובי לארוחת צהריים. אחרי האוכל עליתי שוב על האוטובוס, הפעם למבצר מקהנרי, שם נכתבו המילים להמנון הלאומי של ארה"ב. כפי שעלה 7 דולר להיכנס למבצר עצמו, החלטתי רק להסתובב באזור מחוץ למבצר, אבל זה הספיק לי.

ביום שאחרי הלכתי למוזיאון לאגדות ספורט. ציפיתי מהמוזיאון לכלול אנשים מפורסמים בכל אמריקה, כמו מייקל ג'ורדן, אבל היו אגדות מקומיות, כשהבן אדם הכי מפורסם היה בייב רות', שנולד בבולטימור. אחרי זה הלכתי למוזיאון בולטימור לקעקועים, שהוא קטן, אבל היו בו סיפורים מעניינים ומשעשעים על היסטוריית הקעקוע והמקעקעים. את שאר הצהריים ביליתי תוך כדי הסתובבות באזור פלס פוינט ולאורך הנמל.

 עכשיו אני שוב אוסף את חפציי ונוסע, הפעם לדנבר. זה כבר נהיה קשה לעזוב. כל מקום אני מצטער שאין לי יותר זמן באותו מקום, אבל לצערי הזמן שלי בטיול הזה מוגבל ומתוקצב. לפחות במחנה אני אשאר באותו מקום במשך חודשים.
אז יאללה, אל קולורדו היפה (כך אמרו לי פעמים רבות)!

No comments:

Post a Comment